Friday, February 8, 2008

Left Behind

Tuesday our wonderful hosts took us to the famous Shihlin Night Market. The food was amazing as I had some of the best chicken ever. Unfortunately, they do not appear to sell clothes for "full figured" women here so I resigned myself to watching Daisy buy some really nice stuff for herself. She kept asking our nurses, "Is this cute, does it look good on me?"
So, Tuesday night I learned Daisy is a shopaholic; albeit a cute one.
After a day of clinicals and 3 hours of shopping, it was time to take the MRT back to the dorms. I was nearly exhausted at this point and relished the thought of bed. When we got to the MRT station, I swiped my pass & walked thru the turnstyle. Noticing a bathroom, I reasoned it was a good idea to go and proceeded to tell Jen Hanson so that I would not be left behind. She noded, so I confidently went to the "squatty-potty". As I emerged, there's Jen going into a stall so I think, "ok, others must have had the same idea as me and they are all waiting for us." I go outside to join the group and, low and behold, I see them going up the escalator to the train platform. I attempt to shout out, but they do not hear me. I realize Jen is still in the bathroom so I decide to go back for her and tell her I think we just got ditched. Yup-sure did. No worries, we'll just go up and get on the next train because we know they are going 3 stops up to Mingde Station. Well... We get to the top of the stairs and realize we don't know which platform to wait at. "einy-meany-miney-moe" It's obvious we have to guess because we do not see any English speakers about and the signs are all in Chinese! Long story short: by the grace of God, we got on the right train and caught up with our relieved hosts who had sent 2 nurses back for us. "You so smart !" , one of the nurses exclaimed. It still sucks to be left behind when your Chinese vocabulary consists of two phrases: "hello-Ni Gao" & " thank you-xie xie"
The best part? I later asked Jen if she told anyone she was going to the bathroom and she said, "No, did you?" "Yeah", I replied, "I told you!"

Submitted by Tammie "saavy American navigator" English

No comments: